Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tips from a Plumber

I was talking to my husband yesterday who is a licensed plumber in two states.  I was asking what his tips were to stop him from coming out.  What were the most common things that he has to fix and what could the common man do to stop it from happening?  I thought I would share this with you.

His pet peeves:
  1. Tampons are not meant to be flushed in the toilet.  Tampons swell when they hit water.  They will block the sewer.  That's an expensive fix.
  2. Flushable wipes - They are not flushable.  It does not matter what the package says.  They do not flush.
  3. Garbage Disposal will cause the sink to clog.  He said that the knows that people will do this anyway but to just use it for light scraps if at all.  They, also, put out an odor. Note:  We don't even use ours.
  4. If you are working in an office all day, don't try to fix your plumbing (or anything else).  Weekend warriors tend to make it worse.  I don't care what the guy at Home Depot or Lowes said.  It doesn't mean that you can fix it.
  5. Paper towels, tissues, napkins especially Charmin toilet paper are not to be flushed down the toilet.  They will stop up the toilet.
He did mention some other things like how dirty some houses are but we all know that one.

Disclaimer:  These are not solicited by anyone.  They are simply my husband's opinion.


Photobucket

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! Funny how things that are supposed to be flushable really aren't. Thanks for sharing this.

Come on over to my place. I've got a little bling bling for ya.
http://www.middayescapades.com/2009/12/awards-galore-part-ii.html

Andrea said...

My husband is NOT a plumber, but he has given us the no flush rules and definitely agrees.

Blessings, andrea

Amy said...

Thanks for all of the tips. I wanted to let you know I did a post today about the awards you gave to me. Have a wonderful day.

JennyMac said...

I bet your Hub could write a blog post or two! LOL.

And yes, we have had issues with garbage disposal clogging the entire sink.

And I have an award for you. Put on your party shoes and come over to the Awards bash.

Unknown said...

Thanks for those tips!! My husband is one of those weekend warriors and he doesn't listen to me when I suggest calling in a pro :(

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Great advice. I had a plummer mention the Charmin but my husband will not change TP's. He also likes the wipes!

Jayne Martin said...

Never use Charmin. Way overpriced. I always use the eco-friendly type. Good choice marrying a plumber.

Liz Mays said...

I'm certainly guilty of some of this myself. I have noticed that the garbage disposal is a problem. Our old one never was, but this one backs things up all the time. I hate it!

Menopausal New Mom said...

Great tips Tami, my dad's a plumber and agrees with you hubby's advice. Last thing any of us needs during the holidays is a stuffed up toilet!

Corrie Howe said...

Oh, Dear! That's all I have to say. Better put my plumber on speed dial.

yonca said...

Omg! They are not really flushable? Thanks for sharing this Tami!

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

If only my little crumb could read, I would share this list with her! She loves to flush anything and everything - NIGHTMARE!

Tracie said...

My plumber told me the very same things. After a very expensive repair. I have been passing his advice on to everyone I know. They think I'm weird and I don't think they believe me.

Flory said...

Good to know about the Charmin. Thanks for the tips!

Mrs. M said...

Thanks for posting these tips - I do notice a smell in our garbage disposal periodically. Fortunately we have food recycling service so most of our scraps go in the compost bin!