Thursday, September 24, 2009

First Grade Art Class - Time Out for Mommy



Jason started preschool on Tuesday of this week for an hour forty-five minutes.  I think it cost more money to drive home and back so I decided to volunteer in Faith's class at school.  It just so happens that it falls on her gym day and her art day. 

Now I know you are all wondering how this could be time out.  I like to participate in Time Out for Theta Mom's on Thursday.  You see, I have been driven insane lately by a 4 year old little boy who never shuts up.  Did I mention never?  It is non stop.  I'm just too old for that.  I have truly missed spending time with Faith for field trips and volunteering in her class.  So my time off this week was to volunteer in Faith's art class.  What I didn't know was that Mr. G, the art teacher, decided that I was to be one of the students today as well. 

For one hour, I was a first grader in art class.  The first thing we did was fold a white piece a paper into 4.  You take the paper and fold it in half.  Then fold it in half again.  Then we put a stencil underneath the paper and traced it with the side of a crayon.  We did this with all 4 of the squares.  In the end, we had a square with a leave in it, a bug in it, a butterfly in it, and a rose in it.  Then we took out the paint and lightly painted it.
I must say there were a lot of different looking art work coming out.

At the end of the class, Mr. G sang three songs that he wrote.  The first song was about his daughter, Katie who is 2 years old.  The second song was about his 8 month old little girl, Natalie.  I will always remember that.  It gave me chills to see how much he loved his child.  Last year when Faith first started having him for a teacher.  Parents talked about how strange it was that he taught art.  I understand completely now.  The man is a musician.  He used to perform.  Art is a artist trait.  It makes sense.  Funny how people can take things out of proportion.  He is an excellent teacher.

Now the reason that I call this my hour for time out is that, I felt like a kid again.  This project made me giggle and laugh with all of the kids in Faith's class.  I felt like a little kid.  I was doing something that I totally stink at but having the time of my life with Faith.  I made a memory with 26 first graders.  Me being one of them.  I know it was suppose to be without kids but this was better than without kids for a time out.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Theta Mom said...

Believe it or not, those "kid" moments that we experience from time to time DO take some of the stress away! Looking through the eyes of a child makes the world seem like a whole new place! So glad you had a great time! :)

Unknown said...

I would SO love that! It sounds like an enjoyable time to me. Albeit, a bit noisy, I'm sure!

Maybe you'll be able to be a kid in art class again soon!

Lisa @
All That and a Box of Rocks

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

@Theta Mom - I felt so much younger afterwards. I felt like a little kid and thats hard for a 44 year old.

@Lisa - It was a bit noisy but you know when you are there it doesn't seem like it is. I can't wait to do it again.