Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Holiday Thoughts



Truly I think that I am being tempted by the devil every time I go to the store. I always see something that I think Faith will look great in or that Jason needs. There is always something right there just waiting for my attention. Now they are putting out Christmas stuff already in the store. I thought Halloween was next week? And what happened to Thanksgiving? Are we not suppose to be thankful? These are the questions I ponder all the time.I started thinking about how commercialized everything is today. Not that we were poor by any means, I still remember the huge Christmas that we had.


My mother literally would break the bank to make sure we got everything we wanted. But it was never really about the presents (truly it wasn't). It was about the family being together and loving each other.The holidays being around the corner make me miss my family so much.

Don't get me wrong.  I love Christmas but how commercialized is it going to get? Its out earlier and earlier every year.  I think we need to go back to the traditional Christmas again.  Christmas is about being with the ones you love.  I love decorating my house for Christmas for the kids.  I love going sledding if we can.  Making cookies.  Singing Christmas Carols.  But all this commercializing is just too much in my eyes.

This is my personal opinion.  What's yours?

3 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Tami,

I too, found that out last year when it just seems like people were losing out on the meaning of what Christmas was supposed to be about. Now we just spend more time actively involved in our church and are seeing huge differences in our lives and our kids as well.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Tracie said...

IMHO the holidays are getting blown way out of proportion. I'm not getting sucked into it. I tell my kids "Things don't matter. People do."

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

@Heart2Heart - Kat, we got more active in our church recently as well. Our extended family has actually made the decision that there will be no gifts exchanged this year that are not hand made. We want our kids to know what Christmas is about. Giggles I'm scared.

@kys - I agree absolutely.