Thursday, October 1, 2009

Waiting For Faith - Time Out For Mommy



Well It's that time out of the to join Heather at Thetamom's for her Time Out for Theta Mom's on Thursday.   The idea is to grab one hour of time within one week to do whatever you want...without the kids! Yes I know what you are all thinking. I never leave the kids. Well I don't but one hour. I'm going to try it. So once you have done the one hour a week, you are suppose to post about it and add Theta's link on the side here and link up to other Theta Moms to see how they spent their hour as well.

This week has been really hard to grab that hour just for me. Let’s see so this week I have not only done my usual stuff like: taking care of the kids, house, volunteering at school, pets, blogging. I have, also accomplished three and a portion of my goals on my 101 Things to do in 1001 days.
I joined a mom’s group, Mom’s Club of Independence which I attended on Tuesday morning at 11:00 a.m. It was a good meeting. They had a Swap and Shop. The members brought things that they no longer used and could swap it for something that someone else didn’t use anymore. If there was anything left over, it was being donated to a local church. They talked about sending out a care package to someone that was sick. The last thing they had was a speaker Elizabeth Hickerson from Little Songbird Music Studio.

Little Songbird Music Studio specializes in music education for babies, toddlers and preschoolers. I was very interested. Did you know that kids have rhythm until they are 9 years old? Once they are 9, whatever their rhythm or music ability is will be what they have for the rest of their lives. Research shows that all children have musical abilities. You just have to nurture it. Some of the things that she had us doing were:

  • Name Songs. This is where you insert your child’s name into a song like for instance The Muffin Man. You would say something like Jason knows the Muffin Man.
  • Bouncing: Yes you guessed it. With your singing, you bounce. So I was bouncing Jason on my lap. He hurt. He’s 40 lbs.
  • Finger Play: This was used for fine motor skills, and to develop a sense of rhythm.
  • Locomotor Movement: We did the Walk and Stop. When doing the Walk and Stop, its simple it’s you walk and you walk and you walk and you STOP. Then repeat it.
I began writing for the Examiner.com as the Cincinnati Adoptive Families Examiner. I wrote my first article, List of possible victims to adoption scam rising: Are you one of them? I will mark that off my list as being published.

I created my blog for the project. I donated $10 to my church out of the $3,000, took 3 pictures out of 600 and made $.58 since on my posting out of $3,000 I want to earn.

So last night, I took Faith to CCD at 7:00 p.m. CCD is the basic teachings of the Catholic Church which children begin in first grade. Now I realized on the way that I hadn’t taken my free time yet. I knew that I had to pick Faith back up at 8:00 p.m. so I thought what better time than now. I dropped Faith off and took off to go to Borders to get my Café Mocha. Now I was not planning on spending an hour in the store. I know that I forget to go get Faith if I did that. Instead I got my Café Mocha and went back out to the car. I drove back to the church and parked the car. Then I picked up my cell phone and called my sister, Tabitha, in Florida. I don’t get much time to chat with my sister nowadays. It is always too late when the day is done or too early because she is sleeping.

I sat in my car and talked to my sister about everything. We talked about the struggles my nephew is having with his girlfriend because of the new baby. We talked about the financial issues my mother is having. We talked about the issues we are having with our husbands. Turns out they are a lot of the same issues. We talked about the funny things that Jason and Faith did this week. How my niece, Chelsey, was doing in college. You name it, we talked about it. At the end of the call, I was feeling so much better. I had gotten to rant to someone and help someone at the same time. Does it count for my hour away? I got peace of mind. I felt loved and cherished by someone I love.

Now please tell me what your free time was and then jump over to Thetamoms and see what other awesome moms did. See you there.

If you enjoyed this story you might enjoy these too:

First Grade Art Class - Time Out for Mommy
Time Out For Mom



Photobucket

8 comments:

Theta Mom said...

I'll have to check out that site Little Songbird Music Studio, sounds like they do great things! It was hard for me to manage a time out this week, glad to see you got some time in with your niece.

Grizzly Bear said...

Wow, I did not know that about rhythm. VERY VERY interesting.

So glad you were able to get some me time. I didn't much time. LOL

Happy Timeout Thursday!

Frugal Vicki said...

that sounds nice! Kind of cozy, too! I am actually thinking when it comes time for all the classes I am going to join my son so I can "relearn" some stuff!

Amy said...

Glad you had fun at your group today.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I think that was a great way to take your hour.
With kids it's never easy to talk on the phone at home. Thank God for the cell phone!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

@ThetaMom, it was really informative and made a lot of sense. The odd part was seeing how disconnected Jason was. He's having social issues and you could really tell when we did the music part. Faith's teacher today explained how they were using music with their phonetics. It was really interesting. It has made a lot of improvements in their learning. She said that someone in Kentucky came up with this new system. Its hard to incorporate right off but worth it.


@Grissell - It was really interesting. I'm very glad that I went to it. I was really impressed with these sticks that they had. It was kind of like drumsticks but shorter. Jason had a blast with those. Its really hard to get that time in. Like I said I just did it dropping off. Never did make sense to run home for such a short time to me. Takes more gas.

@Vicki - I must say its completely different than I went to school. She's learning so fast. When I talked to her teacher today, I realized that they were incorporating music into reading as well.

@Amy - Thank you it was a lot of fun.

@Just Breathe - Oh man talking on the phone at home. Jason won't allow that. It is like he is zoned into the phone. He knows to start when I'm on it.

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Little Song Bird Music Studio sounds incredible interesting. I will have to check them out.

You get so much done. How many hours are there in your day? I cannot even imagine doing 1/4 of what you do!

I think you time-out was great! You got a chance to girl-talk with your sister!

Looking forward to next week's time-out!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

@Sophia's Mom - I'm thinking of taking Jason to the Little Song Bird Music Studio. Maybe Faith to. They have a deal for multiple children.

I don't get as much done as you think. Sometimes though like Tuesday and Wednesday I'm so busy that I can't breath. I simply need to be busy. I'm sure that you get just as much done as I do.

I am so glad that I got to girl-talk with my sister. We are pretty close usually. We haven't been able to touch base in the last week. So to do so was such a relief for me. So much pleasure in one long call.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.