Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Magical Moments on Tuesday


”Magical


It's time for Magical Moment on Tuesday for HeartsMakeFamilies! For those of you visiting for the first time, the goal is to talk about one thing during the week that was magical to you. I mean that you were over the top about. It could be a project you completed, something your child did, a grand new idea, something you saw, etc. Something that was so magical that you have to tell us about it. I know. I know. This is why we all have blogs. But sometimes we just write about the negative things because we had a bad week. So if we all write about a Magical Moment then we might uplift another blogger. This is the very reason that I have this blog so that one day my children can see. You do not have to be a mom to do this. To join us, on Tuesday post what your Magical Moment was (add my button from the right side bar or link to me) and then be sure to stop here to link up and meet other moms at HeartsMakeFamilies to see what their Magical Moment was.

I don't know if I ever really talked about it but I am the uncraftiest person in the world.  So this Magical Moment is rather surprising.  I have decided recently that I am going to start doing crafts with my kids.  Yes they will be easy at first or supervised.  Kenny supervised this week's crafts.  We decided to do Jack-o-Lanterns with the kids.

We both took one of the kids to work with.  Kenny, of course, was fast at it.  First thing we did was clean the pumpkins up.  I had purchased two rather nice side pumpkins from Walmart for $2.99.  I thought heck I can't do much worse for such a low price.  The kids were so excited and I must say so was I.  I don't ever remember doing this with my parents.  I'm sure at some point I was with my sister when she did with her kids.  Ken, of course, remembers doing this with his dad.  He had one of those dads that was always doing things with their kids.  He was the cub scout leader.  He took them camping and fishing.  He was always active in his children and all the kids he met.  He is dearly missed by all.

We drew our designs on our pumpkins.  Jason wanted triangle eyes, round nose, and a wide mouth with six teeth.  Faith wanted triangle eyes, square nose and two teeth on her wide smile.  So Kenny is cutting the top of his pumpkin out.  Yes he has he-man strength.  He went faster than I did and my impatient Jason said Mommy hurry up.    Off came the lids, and then we got to scrap the insides of the pumpkins out.  Faith had a hissy fit.  "Mommy, it is so yuckky.  I don't want to clean them out."  Of course, we told her it was part of the fun.  Ken had given them gloves so that they didn't get it all over themselves.  Well, we tried at least. 

I prepped the table with a garbage bag that I cut in half so that the table was protected.  It's a cheap table cloth since no one was eating on it.  The candles we used were from our wedding in 2002.  Yes I'm still working through those votive candles.  It's amazing.  I had a fetish for candles at one point.  I bought so many because we had a candle store up the street from us.  Finally I am using them.

Then we begin cutting the faces out, Jason's pumpkin lost 4 teeth.  Faith made the comment, "Your pumpkin is just like me.  Will the tooth fairy come?"  Jason was ok with it but at that point Faith was complaining because her teeth were on the top of the mouth and not in it.

 

My Magical Moment simply the fact that we had so much fun as a family working on these pumpkins.  We were goofy and laughing.  There were mistakes that we handled in stride.  We learned to do something even if it was yuckky.  It was a joy.  I learned a new craft and started a new tradition for Halloween.   We will continue this tradition forever if I can help it.  This is what family is suppose to be about doing things together and loving each other.

 
Now it is your turn. Please post about what your Magical Moment was (add my button from the right side bar or link to me) and then be sure to stop here to link up and meet other moms at HeartsMakeFamilies to see what their Magical Moment was.  I can't wait to hear your stories about what your Magical Moment was.




Photobucket


8 comments:

Lee said...

Snuggling in my sons bed this morning. He is so awesome in the mornings...before he speaks.

Andrea said...

WOW...great pumpkins.
Blessings, andrea

Amy said...

They came out amazing. Way to go on your crafting skills..

Tracie said...

How cute! We painted pumpkins this weekend. They turned out pretty good and not as much of a mess as I thought.

One with many names said...

What great pumpkins!!! :) I'm not very crafty either. I wanted to do pumpkins but ended up putting new beds together instead!

Happy Halloweeeeeen! :)

Unknown said...

I love the idea of the magical moment! It really made me look back and think of all the good things about the past week.

Thanks!

Lisa @
All That and a Box of Rocks

Heart2Heart said...

Tami,

You know there is something exciting about creating something from carving a pumpkin and the more the kids have an input, the greater the joy with the finished project.

Oh but the memories you created will long outlast the hallowed out shells of those great pumpkin smiles.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Frugal Vicki said...

They did a great job! I love pumpkin carving time! I am always the only one to scoop the poop as my hubby says, but that is okay, I enjoy it for some weird reason!